Monday, February 20, 2006

a new obsession

A few Sundays ago, after working way too many days in a row, I decided to reward myself with a paper-dying workshop offered through the Japanese Paper Place. I was hoping to learn some new techniques I could use for a hand-decorated paper swap I'm participating in. I did more than learn; I'm found a new addiction.

Here are some of the papers I came home with:


These are hand-made Japanese kozo paper, dyed by folding the paper in various ways, then dipping into dye. When I was a kid, I used to steal paper towels so I could dye them, much like this, only using my tin of watercolour paints instead of dye.

Here's another technique we learned:


These two are heavier-weight machine-made Japanese papers. They were first folded and dyed, like those above, then painted, then dyed again, then painted again, until we were satisfied with the results. I actually don't feel that these two are quite done, but we ran out of time at the class, so I'll have to try this technique at home.

Last night, I used the red dyed paper above to create a simple paper "quilt" for an art journal round robin I'm working in:


I cut the paper into strips, then sewed them together with my sewing machine. I really like how this turned out, and now I want to experiment with all kinds of paper quilts (another obsession!)

And just for fun, here's the other page I did in that art journal:


I call it "Stray".

5 Comments:

At 8:10 AM, Anonymous nicci said...

i don't suppose you could give a little workshop here on how to dye paper? i was just going to try some, but i have no idea if you have to set the dye or anything fun like that.

my fav is the red and orange paper you said you didn't feel was finished yet. yu-um. *drool even!*

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger ptichka said...

Sure! I'm going to dye some papers this weekend, so I'll take some pics of the process and put up a little tutorial.

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger Calla Visage said...

I love these. I love the orange/red one you sewed together. I wish I had classes/workshops near me to learn all these cool techniques!

 
At 12:48 PM, Blogger paul said...

if you are ever read this comment (left on 9.9.09) would you please send an email to paul.gordon@guilford.com. I'm an art director who would like to consider using some of your work on book covers. Thank you. Paul

 
At 3:53 AM, Anonymous Kate Howells said...

Heya, could you possibly give me information on how you've dyed the paper. I find the colours amazing and I am very eager to use the technique in a project. However I have no clue what dye to use, so if you don't mind could you tell me some information please. If you'd rather e-mail me my address is: katehowells93@live.co.uk. Thank you very much, kate howells.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home